Let’s clear the air on a few things straight away:
1) I am an active, temple-recommend-carrying member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I’m also a Returned Missionary, a Reformed Sinner, a Seminary Teacher, and a Mission Prep Teacher. I throw myself into Singles Ward every once in a while, but mostly I try to avoid awkward situations…. so I attend my family ward.
2) I’m a Texan. I’m blunt. Recently, I was called “loud and irritating.” This is not news to me. Unfortunately, that rubs lots of people the wrong way. I’m working on it, I promise. So if I come off as prideful, abrasive, crass, or rude, don’t waste your time telling me. Throw your opinion and your research down, I promise to give everything a fair shot.
3) I make clear distinctions between The Gospel (which is true), The Church (which is imperfect), and The Culture (which is an abomination). Never confuse the three. 99% of people’s so called doctrinal squabbles are actually thinly disguised issues with The Church and it’s imperfect people or The Culture which should never have been allowed to develop (green jello…. really? I rest my case).
4) I support a healthy line of questions, doubts, concerns, even fears and anxieties about doctrine and policy. It is only by asking questions that we receive answers. Look at Joseph Smith — we wouldn’t be here if he hadn’t gotten on his knees and asked. What I do not support are undocumented answers. If you think a prophet said it, go figure that out before you quote it at me. And, of course, I will do the same. I also promise to clearly label my opinion, speculation, or conclusion drawn from personal revelation as such.
5) That being said, I do NOT support the organization Ordain Women. I believe Margaret Toscano is at the heart of it and not to be trusted. I do believe there are many wonderful, faithful women who want, need, even long for a forum where questions about their roles in The Gospel, The Church, and The Culture can be asked, discussed, and answered without repercussion. To those women, I say, I support you. Please, please, please be careful with anything Toscano says, writes, encourages you to do. You are blessed with the gift of discernment and are an agent unto yourself. I will not tell you what to do, but I make my stance on her clear in hopes that you will be able to make well-informed decisions.
6) I don’t know everything nor will I ever profess to. These next several posts are designed as an insight into my “personal study” as I delve into The Priesthood. If you think I’ve overlooked something, please chime in! This is an open forum, where all can be Twice Fed.
Okay…. let’s get started.